Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Let Her Go!

Rockers rejoice! Iron Maiden is kicking off their 'Somewhere Back In Time' World Tour '08, beginning with India, tomorrow (1st Feb 2008).

Maidenheads couldn't contain their euphory last March when Maiden had performed live at Bangalore. Well, they're lucky enough to catch their fav Brit band twice just within a year's timing. Isn't it amazing?

Speaking of Amazin', Aerosmith had been to India last year. Also Sepultura and Scorpions lined up for concerts at the end of 2007. I've heard that Megadeth will be visiting around March this year and today's Bombay Times' front page announces that Def Leppard, too, is coming in May.

So, is India's turning to a head banger's ball? With so many ardent rock & metal fans at present, it surely makes sense that these bands mark India as the destination for their tours. Earlier it took a Michael Jackson, Shakira or Akon to have a concert here. Looking at the multitude of the fans of rock genre, even Beyonce couldn't lure a decent crowd for her recent concert. Yet, she and the 'others' get superfluous media exposure.

Most of the college going people will be saving on for the tickets and other expenses (say traveling and booze!) Last year for the Maiden's concert it was like 'Chalo Bangalore'. More than half of the turnouts had been donning a black tee or/and long tresses.

However, there are some who would be despondent due to their inconveniences to be part of this swarm of revelers. Some of them may be preparing for their exams (its almost term end and dates of board exams are at hand), some tied up with important work, some are short of money, some under-aged kids not given permission, someone suddenly fallen ill, etc.

Honestly, I've recently been to MMRDA grounds when Joyce Meyer had come there a couple of weeks back and while returning we couldn't get even a rickshaw to drop us to station. And it being a religious gathering, most of the crowd contained families which almost cuts down the possibility of some untoward incident. On the contrary, a female attending a concert possess risk with a handful of troublemakers hanging around (apart from the mosh pit). Given the mentality of the people here, they are ready to pounce on the victim by saying, "Who asked them to go to such horrible concert in the first place?" Even the caretakers of law will publicly criticize her for 'staying out of her home so late' and thus inviting trouble! This is truly absurd. Curbing the freedom of a woman by stating such reasons for no fault of theirs is utterly idiocy.

Anyways, all those who are going to have the time of their life, make the most out of it. Though I'm not much of a metal head, I've been a bit influenced by this genre with the credit going to my sister. She, too, can't make it to the concert. So, I've got three words for her- Still Keep rocking!
This one is for you sis.
Here goes her fav Iron Maiden song:


I'm waiting in my cold cell, when the bell begins to chime.
Reflecting on my past life and it doesn't have much time.
'Cause at 5 o'clock they take me to the Gallows Pole,
The sands of time for me are running low.

When the priest comes to read me the last rites,
I take a look through the bars at the last sights,
Of a world that has gone very wrong for me.

Can it be that there's some sort of error?
Hard to stop the surmounting terror.
Is this really the end, not some crazy dream?

Somebody please tell me that I'm dreaming,
It's not easy to stop from screaming,
But words escape me when I try to speak.
Tears flow but why am I crying?
After all I'm not afraid of dying.
Don't I believe that there never is an end?

As the guards march me out to the courtyard,
Somebody cries from a cell "God be with you".
If there's a God then why does he let me go?

As I walk my life drifts before me.
Though the end is near I'm not sorry.
Catch my soul, it's willing to fly away.

Mark my words believe my soul lives on.
Don't worry now that I have gone.
I've gone beyond to see the truth.

When you know that your time is close at hand,
Maybe then you'll begin to understand
Life down here is just a strange illusion.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...Hallowed be Thy name
Yeah, yeah, yeah...Hallowed be Thy name
Yeah..................................

2 comments:

Manu Akula said...

I dont understand what the whole craze is about Iron Maiden, Children of Sodom, Lamb of God, Manson and their ilk.

Give me a good old Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Nirvana, Def Lepard, AC/DC or GNR anyday !

verypreeti said...

Oh yes! Finally some good bands coming to India :)And for dedicating my fav song - Love you...muah!

Well...some people just don't know that Iron Maiden are the pioneers of NWOBHM. And it is very obvious people who don't listen to the band will not understand the craze for it. Of course...some people think that the music they don't listen to is not worth just coz they don't like it. Anyways UP THE IRONS!