Saturday, May 24, 2008

A cut above the rest.

Yesterday I bumped into my college friend, whom I never met after the TY exams. Strangely, her first reaction was, 'Hey, your hair have grown pretty long. You look different.' Coincidently, this was the same comment I received some 15 days back from another friend who studied till class 12th with me. She had not recognised me in first place.

It is not that I am obsessed with how I put up my hair or leave them open. But it does matter to others, I assume. I always liked them short. I still remember I used to pester my dad every now and then by seeking 'permission' to cut my hair short. But he never would budge. However, once finally after succumbing to my constant bugging, he gave me a green signal. I did not wanted to let go the opportunity before he could change his mind again. I had my exam the next day in the afternoon, but I still went to get a hair cut. And everyone's jaw dropped when they saw the cut. Boy cut! They exclaimed. Even my teachers were shocked and asked me why did I do so. But it didn't matter to me.

On two occasions, I was even mistaken for a boy (that was during schooldays). And I took those as compliments ;) In college too, when I had a mushroom cut (my favourite) I was always met with the question, 'Why Shruthi why?'

And I ask people 'Why?' Why are they so concerned what others do with their own hair? Some Bollywood director commented, "Women must wear their hair long. It is like a jewelery that adorns them." This is one of the lamest comment I've ever heard. Some like it long, some like it short. What bothers him? He can ask his woman to be Rapunzel if he wishes to.

P.S : Ah, this post is a case of 'Much ado about nothing'. I ended up writing this stupid post just because I am in two minds 'to snip or not to snip' :|

1 comment:

verypreeti said...

You took permission for a haircut? :O:P